13 Jul Round Top Recap Week: Day 5 – A Visit to Royers Pie Cafe
How can I spend a week talking about our little trip and not mention a thing about food? Isn’t that a main component of any getaway?
Well, it is in our family, so I thought I would end the week telling you about the best thing I put in my mouth while we were gone. A delicious piece of pie from Royers Pie Haven. You will quickly discover when you visit Round Top there is not much to choose from as far as eateries in the main shopping areas. Of course, there are food trucks set up, but when I saw the cute shop in the newly renovated “Round Top Square”, and perceived the word “pie”, I was in. Side Note: Lunch time is quite busy so I would suggest going at an off time.
This was our last fun stop during our trip, and it was such a nice time. The weather had cooled, our sweet baby girl was with us, and we had pie…and coffee. There are very few things in life I enjoy as much as dessert and coffee. In fact, I love coffee, and without it, I wouldn’t accomplish near as much as I do in a single day.
I thought these signs in the cafe were humorous.
It smelled as good as you can imagine (it is a tiny space filled with lots of goodness!), and there were several pie flavors to choose from.
There was one strawberry rhubarb pie left, and we brought it home for my brother and his family. So yummy!
We sat outside on the darling, cozy porch complete with charming chandeliers.
Kent got a slice of junkberry pie which was a mix of all different types of berries.
I liked it, but I am a chocolate girl! “Bud’s Chocolate Chip Pie” is what made them world famous so that is what I chose. It was also the only chocolate item they had in store at the time.
So. scrumptiously. delicious.
This was the view from the little porch. Cute area, right?
Are you super sad you can’t have any? Well, it just so happens Mr. Royer is not a hoarder of his recipes! You’re welcome.
BUD’S CHOCOLATE CHIP PIE
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 sticks of melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 c coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- 1 (10 inch) cafe pie shell (find a crust recipe here)
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Mix sugar, brown sugar and flour together.
- Stir in the eggs and then the butter, combining well.
- Allow mixture to cool for 30 minutes then fold in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread in the prepared crust and bake at 325 degrees for 60 to 70 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Supposedly, this pie freezes exceptionally well. Although things just taste better when other people make them, don’t they? Never fear, you can order one! And it will come to your door! I know, amazing!
The recipe for the junkberry pie can be found here.
A few other notes about Round Top:
- Royers Pie Haven is a smaller part of the Royers Round Top Cafe which I hear is especially tasty. Make reservations early as they are only open certain hours, and it fills fast!
- If you want to stay in town; again, make reservations early. The cute bed and breakfasts in Round Top are booked almost as soon as reservations open. We stayed in Brenham at a Holiday Inn, mostly because we had a baby with us.
- Shop the fields. I repeat, shop the fields. This is where “the deals” are to be had. The storefronts are fun to see and inspirational no doubt, but they are pricey. Pretty much everyone familiar with Round Top will give you this advice.
- And finally, worried about what to wear? This is what to do…Go to your local fabric store. Buy some linen. Sew yourself a shirt and some pants. Then rip them to smithereens. You are now ready for Round Top. Confused? Me too. I did not get this memo before my first Round Top experience. But you will see there are people walking around everywhere in these ripped linen outfits, and there are several stores with saleswomen in ripped linen peddling other women ripped linen. I wish I was sneaky enough to have taken a picture, but I wasn’t. Oh, one more thing…also make sure the back is see-through so everyone can see the back of your bra. Still confused? Me too. Bizarre.
Make sure you come back next week for an ah-mazing DIY! Have a happy weekend.