Addition Floor Update: Team Matte or Team Glossy?

It has been awhile since I posted an update on the Addition, mostly because when the tile guy started laying the tile, we quickly realized we did not have enough.  Uh-oh.  So I had him stop.

If you are wondering why I didn’t just have him use all the tile we had and wait for the rest, here is why…

Even if you are ordering the same colorway of tile, the shades can vary from batch to batch, especially if they are handmade, like these are.  (By the way, these are 4″ x 16″ tiles from ArtoBrick – think saltillo look and feel, but more durability)  If you need more tile after you have started laying your floor, go ahead and stop.  Then when you get the new batch, have your tile setter mix the two batches so if there is a slight color difference, it will not be as noticeable.

{I can’t really talk about the tile without mentioning how happy I am with Bottega Tile, who I ordered the tile through.  They did such a terrific job remedying the situation when we realized Arto had not sent enough tile.  I would highly recommend them, and this is not a sponsored post or anything, I just like to give shout-outs to people who do their job with excellence and integrity at a fair price.  So if you live in the DFW area, their showroom is gorgeous and inspiring, and they are a kind family doing good business.  Support them.}

Now as you can see, these are more “in progress” photos, as the tile is not sealed or grouted.  They just finished laying it yesterday.  It’s looking good though, right?  Herringbone floors feel so glamorous to me.

There is a small step down from the kitchen into the new room.

The tile will be much darker after it has been sealed, but I’m loving the way it looks and feels, and the fact that it is handmade makes it a little less uniform (which I like).  Today they are going to do a penetrating sealer, and on Monday, they are going to grout it.  The next day, they will seal it once more, and it will be done!  Baseboards can go in, lighting can be installed, and then…you guys, one year later, we will have a new room!  Can hardly wait!

As far as grout color, I have chosen a color called “Natural Gray” which is a medium shade of gray that will set off the pattern in the floors.  But then we need to decide whether to do a matte sealer or a glossy sealer.  Glossy will wipe easier and be a little easier to take care of overall, so right now, I’m leaning towards glossy.  I could be swayed though.  So…what are you?

Team Matte

houzz

houzz

or

Team Glossy

houzz

houzz

???

48 Responses to “Addition Floor Update: Team Matte or Team Glossy?”

1. Kat September 12, 2013 at 10:50 am #

I am all for TEAM MATTE!!! I am so in love with this flooring. I am mean, come on, it is so pretty. I’m pinning this now!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:24 pm #

Thanks Kat-y Kat! I’m excited to get to decorating it! 🙂

2. Shauna Magnusen September 12, 2013 at 10:52 am #

I love the glossy especially if it’s easier to clean.

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Shauna, the easier to clean thing is a big pull for sure!

P.S. GREAT find in the rugs, thank you SO much for sharing! I cannot wait to see your room!

3. Shannon September 12, 2013 at 11:00 am #

No matter what it is, I am always on Team Glossy!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Ha! This made me laugh. Thanks Shauna. 🙂

4. CJ Harris September 12, 2013 at 11:01 am #

To bad there’s not an in-between option but I think I’m going to have to go with the matte. Can’t wait to see it all come together. Won’t be long now, happy for you and your family!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

CJ, I could do semi-gloss vs. glossy. Hmmmm….maybe there is a happy medium…

• CJ Harris September 13, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

I was thinking too, that this new room is an extension off of your kitchen. The backsplash in your kitchen kind of goes with the matte finish of your floor. What do you think?

5. Deanna September 12, 2013 at 11:11 am #

Team matte! It looks so beautiful. Although I can see your point about ease of cleaning…

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Deanna, point for team matte! Noted. 🙂

6. Alex September 12, 2013 at 11:33 am #

I opt for anything that makes life easier so I’m on team glossy!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

Alex, I know…I can almost guarantee that is what my husband will pick. 🙂

7. Shelley September 12, 2013 at 11:38 am #

OK, so I’m a fence sitter. I like the looks of Matte better, but I’m all about being easier to clean!! They are both gorgeous finishes, so you can’t go wrong!!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Shelley, I agree. The floor is so pretty, I really don’t think it will be that big of a deal. So maybe I should let “ease of use” lead me??? Hmmm…

8. Alena September 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm #

I am a new reader and am enjoying your blog immensely. I think that if you want your custom tiled floors to be a feature of the room and really “pop,” do the glossy finish, if you want the floors to fade into the background to allow your furnishings to do the wowing, do the matte finish. That being said, I am on team glossy.

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm #

Alena, welcome! It’s so nice to “meet” you! Very good points, point for team glossy.

9. Tara September 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

I like them both. But the glossy feels a little bit fancy. A little more glamorous, maybe? Matte seems more stark and modern.

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Tara, yes…am I glamorous? am I modern? I’d like to think I’m both. 😉

10. Caroline September 12, 2013 at 2:31 pm #

I’m Team Matte. But I’m curious, it seems like a really glossy finish would look dirty more easily? LIke the glossy finish would reflect light onto the dirt making it jump out at you? This could be totally wrong. Just a thought. Either way though, I’m team matte!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

Caroline, very interesting…you know, I hadn’t really thought it through, I guess. The tile guy told me it would be easier to clean/look cleaner so I just took his word for it. Definitely something to think about. Thanks for the comment! 🙂

11. Holly September 12, 2013 at 2:32 pm #

Love your blog and your taste! That said, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

Holly, thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment!

12. Tiffany September 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

I like both, it really depends in the space. I wouldn’t go glossy with a large scale tile because you will definitely slip in socks, but since this smaller scale has lots of grout joints it shouldn’t be a problem. I think I’m leaning towards glossy for your tile!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

Tiffany, I did think about the slip factor, but think you are right…I don’t think that will matter as much in the space since there will be so many grout lines.

13. Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door September 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

I’m on team matte. The floor is amazingly beautiful by the way. 🙂

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

Elizabeth, thank you! 🙂

14. JJanet September 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Definitely the Team Matte!! Beautiful room don’t, the floor is AWESOME but I wouldn’t want it to be the main focus of the room!!! Just my opinion!!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:24 pm #

Jjanet, noted! Feeling torn…

15. Brandy September 12, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

I love your blog and always look forward to your posts. After remodeling 3 homes with 3 kids and a dog, my vote is always for matte. I don’t know about the clean-ability of the tile, but in my experience, the more glossy a floor is, the more it shows footprints, mop streaks, etc. I have had glossy floors in 2 homes and now have matte and I love them so much more! They definitely hide milk & oatmeal splatters, dog scratches, and general nastiness that happens in a family! Good luck!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Brandy, that is so interesting – I feel like the tile guy told me the complete opposite – he was telling me glossy hid scratches better, and was easier to clean, too. I think though it may be better to trust the mom with three kids and a dog. 😉

16. Kelly September 12, 2013 at 5:31 pm #

MATTE!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Kelly, point for matte. 🙂

17. Kristi@chatfield court September 12, 2013 at 6:41 pm #

Hi Grace. I am a new reader. I am loving the tile and I really like the matte best but I would probably go glossy if it was easier to clean/take care of. I can’t wait to see what you do with the rest of the room.

Thanks.
    Kristi

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Kristi, welcome! It is so nice to meet you – I am so happy you are reading! Thank you so much for your comment! 🙂

18. Julie September 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm #

To me it’s a clear MATTE, because I have younger kids/pets and the thought of TRYING to keep a glossy floor actually GLOSSY would drive me nutzo! It would never be…until the kids went off to college. So, why drive yourself crazy and just stick with matte. Blunt, but my take on it…I AM IN LOVE WITH THE TILE !! Can’t wait to see it laid!

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:27 pm #

Julie, I love blunt! 🙂

19. Kristen Dowd September 12, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Matte!!! Glossy will look soooo much dirtier even w a little dirt.

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

KD, I was hoping you would respond, I definitely wanted to get your take on this. xoxo

20. Gretchen September 12, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

Ditto Shannon – I will always be team glossy no matter the question.
    I am also thinking about how all the light from the windows will bounce off the gloss

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 10:28 pm #

Gretchen, that is my husband’s thought…he thinks it will be so pretty with the light bouncing off of the gloss. He is very Team Glossy at the moment.

21. Julie S September 12, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

Team Matte. My thinking is that any dirt and dust tracked in on a daily basis will be matte, and it will be far more noticeable in the parts where you step a lot because of the contrast on a shiny floor.

• Grace September 13, 2013 at 12:23 am #

Hi Julie, yes…your sentiment echoes many others. Now to convince my husband… 🙂

22. Emily September 13, 2013 at 6:31 am #

Team Matte.
    I think it will show less dust and too.
    It is a gorgeous floor Grace, and will look beautiful no matter what your decision!

23. Sheri September 13, 2013 at 8:02 am #

I am definitely team matte on this. I absolutely LOVE those tiles and I feel that if you go with glossy it will lose the beautiful feel of the actual tile. Matte will allow you to go more natural and be able to see the detail of the pattern better. I think a glossy finish will blend it all together. Plus, glossy is so hard to upkeep; think scratches from furniture and toys etc. That kind of stuff will just fade away better in a matte finish. Just my 2 cents 🙂

24. Erin September 13, 2013 at 10:01 am #

The good thing is, you can’t possibly go wrong. Those tiles are just so gorgeous!!

25. Patty Potter September 14, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Add me to Team Matte! Lovely tiles.

26. jennifer johnson January 2, 2017 at 3:08 pm #

Could you please tell us the color tile and grout color you chose and do you have a final picture?

Looks beautiful