Painted Ladies

I have a minor fascination with vintage or antique lady portraits.  A good painting will leave me wondering who the lady was, where she lived, what compelled the artist to paint her, etc.

My friend and Gypsy Soul comrade, Kristen Dowd, has a striking vintage lady painting in her kitchen.  I just love her!

gypsy soul interiors

gypsy soul interiors

You can see her a little better in this photo.

gypsy soul interiors

gypsy soul interiors

Jenny has also been known to love a painted lady here and there.

little green notebook

little green notebook

little green notebook

little green notebook

They don’t always have to be serious or sophisticated.  Painted ladies can also be used in a playful space when mixed with other styles of art.

lonny

lonny

If you live in the San Diego area, you may have been to Ponce’s, where they have a wall of lady art!

Ponce's

Ponce’s

This past week, while getting a special (and rare!) treat of perusing an estate sale in Dallas with the aforementioned Kristen Dowd, I spied this beauty.

We were at the estate of an artist who had passed.  She did some really beautiful paintings, and if I were in her family, I would have taken them all and lined my home with them!

I thought the colors in her dress were so pretty together.

I wonder what her face looks like?  How old she is?

The painting is titled, “After the Ball”.  Right now, she is all by her lonesome on this wall, and I think I may need to take her and surround her with friends at some point.

I like to look at these types of paintings on Ebay from time to time!  When I scout the listings, I use this search and this search.

I find people often over think the purchase of art – they worry, “is this good art?”  I think you need to ask yourself:

Do you love it?

Does it trigger a special memory or thought?

Does it make you happy?

The answer can be “yes” to any or all of those questions.  Art is personal, sentimental, and yes, it can even show your quirkiness!

What is your favorite piece of art in your home?

9 Responses to “Painted Ladies”

1. Emily Clark June 10, 2013 at 9:53 am #

Love it, Grace! I would love to find something quirky like this for our powder room… Still searching.

• Grace June 11, 2013 at 8:31 am #

Hi Emily, try those Ebay searches I listed. There is some good stuff out there right now! I can’t look too close or I would want to buy them all. 😉 xoxo, G

2. Gwen June 10, 2013 at 12:50 pm #

Gorgeous colors! I was wondering what room you put her in? Do you have a method for choosing art for a specific room? I seem to always end up with too many similar styles on one wall.

• Grace June 11, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Hi Gwen, thank you so much for your question. Right now, she is in my entryway, but I move things around at my house quite a bit so she probably will not stay there. I don’t really have a method to my madness, I simply buy art I love. (and we don’t have much by the way) I am a firm believer in loving something and it just working. In regards to your “too similar on one wall” thought, I think a grouping of similar art on a wall can be really interesting. Of course, it’s good to mix it up, too, but i find a cluster of similar art intriguing. Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else! G

3. emily June 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

gorgeous painting! I love the mystery! My favorite piece of art in my home was painted by my husbands great-grandmother…it’s my favorite because it’s beautiful, but also completely irreplaceable.

• Grace June 11, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Emily (anatomyofdesign), how wonderful!! Special family paintings are the best, what a treasure! Thanks for sharing, I so appreciate it. G

4. Emily June 13, 2013 at 11:33 am #

I love old portrait paintings and have several in my home!
    I love the one you found Grace!
    Etsy also has some good ones from time to time.

• Grace June 14, 2013 at 6:35 am #

Hi LadyEm, of course! You know, of all the things I search Etsy for, I have actually never searched it for these paintings! Off to search. 😉 Thanks so much for the tip, and I would love to see a photo of how you use them in your home. 😉 G

5. Emily June 17, 2013 at 11:26 am #

Grace, I have a picture of one on IG.
    I follow you, so please follow me back.
    I’m EmilyinCo