Breaking the Rules: Oversized Chandeliers

Frequently, I get asked about the rules for lighting fixtures.  How big should they be?  How tall should they be?   Of course, you can use the age-old equation:

Measure the length and width of the room and add those figures together.  (if your room is 12’3″, just round up to 13′)

The sum of those numbers, converted to inches, will equal the diameter you can use when selecting the size of your chandelier.

Example: 13’+15’=28′ Converted to inches=28″
Correct Size Chandelier=28″ diameter

This equation is all fine and dandy until you happen upon something like this.

And BAM!  The rules go flying out the window, fireworks go off, and you get all jumpy and happy inside.  I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT?!  WHATEVER I LIKE?!  The possibilities!

cococozy

cococozy

cotedetexas

cotedetexas

marie christine design

marie christine design

bolaget

bolaget

marie claire maison

marie claire maison

hgtv

hgtv

I’m not sure this is a home, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

trendzona.com

trendzona.com

houzz

houzz

little green notebook

little green notebook

house beautiful

house beautiful

I love this one – it is just so fresh!

source unknown

Cottage Living

architectural digest

architectural digest

What do you guys think?  Are you liking the oversized look?  Or is it a little loud for you?

Have a great weekend!  xo

8 Responses to “Breaking the Rules: Oversized Chandeliers”

1. Tiffany March 8, 2013 at 8:39 am #

As soon as I saw the title of this post I instantly thought of Jenny’s dining room, so happy you’ve included it. I die over her chandelier. All of these others are great inspiration too!

• Grace March 11, 2013 at 7:26 am #

Hi Tiffany, I know, right? I love her chandelier, too. G

2. Caroline @ The Home Depot March 8, 2013 at 9:17 am #

The second to last image is Lee Klenihelter’s home photographed for Cottage Living! One of my favorite spreads ever. Her whole house is just insane!!

• Grace March 11, 2013 at 7:27 am #

Hi Caroline! Thank you so much! I LOVE when readers help me source images! I will have to go look that up – that photo is one of my new favorites. Thank you so much for your comment! G

3. Susan March 8, 2013 at 9:38 am #

I actually just did a post on my blog the other day about chandeliers! My take was a little different (more ‘keeping’ with the rules than breaking them) but I absolutely LOVE these images! Great post! You can check out mine here:

Susan
    simplymodernhome.com

• Grace March 11, 2013 at 7:27 am #

Thank you, Susan! Great link!

4. kent March 8, 2013 at 11:14 am #

For some reason I get a real Mad Hatter vibe from missized dining room furniture

• Grace March 11, 2013 at 7:28 am #