Progress, Progress, Progress…
This is the part of the ORC process where there is not much pretty yet, but you are working your tail off, and you can see quite the difference!
Let me remind you where we started…
Yeah, the blue sponge paint…not missing that. ; )
I am happy to tell you we removed the wallpaper in a day and half, and I wish I would have taken a photo of the aftermath because it was SUCH A MESS! It came off in layers which was frustrating at times, but I was determined to finish fast!
After the wallpaper was gone, we installed the new trim to cover the gap gained in changing the ceiling from plaster to sheetrock. Then we added the old picture rail underneath.
The walls had to be sized and primed, and the trim had to be primed, too. In the below photo, you can see a peek of all of the stuff crammed into our bathroom!
One of the major changes we are making in this room is the closet configuration. Here is the closet before photo:
The closet extends about six feet to the left when you open that door, and ends immediately to the right of the opening. It has always been an awkward space, but the worst part is the floor. The walls are cedar-lined which is really nice, but the floor is almost like a pieced together sub floor. This setup has been responsible for a few splinters in our feet over the years!
Widening the doorway will make the closet much easier to utilize, and I am very excited for what we have planned! Once the initial cuts were made, I could see a dramatic difference!
I mean, this is a big improvement!
We are putting in all new organizational components once the construction is complete to maximize every inch of storage. This closet will be my husband’s, as mine is located in the bathroom. It has been fun to work on a masculine design with his needs in mind.
The doorway was framed, the hinges started going in, and it immediately felt like a more practical space.
The giant old doors I purchased at the salvage yard were installed, and I was giddy!
My vision is coming together, and that is always really exciting!
I think the doors will be striking once they are painted the same color as the trim (Farrow & Ball’s Black Blue), but I also think they are pretty when they are open due to the louvre detail.
Originally, I thought I would use these long brass pulls (they are super pretty and beautifully made!) for the closet hardware, but they appeared to get swallowed by the scale of the doors. When in doubt, I always take a picture. Design mistakes are often highlighted in photos! My husband humored me this late night by holding the pulls up when I was fretting over what to do. I have a new plan for the hardware, and I have another pair of doors in the house these pulls will work better on, I think.
You may have noticed the chair below in the top photo of this post. (I have a pair)
I bought them long ago, and I adore the malachite detail and the pretty woven seats. They are old and petite, and I think they will look nice next to the dresser I plan on putting in the room. (can’t wait to get the marble top on this beauty I bought from CEH!)
Since the closet is small, I wanted to do something fun and play a little bit with the floor. The majority of our house is wood flooring, and wood felt right for the space, so I thought we could spice it up with a design. We chose a herringbone to tie in with the Master Bathroom floor, and although it is not stained yet, I love how it looks!
Spoiler Alert: The trim is painted black, and I will show you images of that next week! I’m hoping wallpaper will go up in the next few days, and even though I feel way better time-wise than I did the last ORC, I still have a sense of uneasiness when I ponder how much time is left! Reveal Day is in TWO WEEKS!!!! Oh boy!
Thank you, as always, for following along.
If you need to catch up:
Be sure to check out the other participants in the ORC by clicking here!
Follow me on Instagram to get sneak peeks of this project, plus my client work.
Until the next story.