Traveling Light

new york womanmy image via instagram

I am a woman that travels light.  I have not checked a bag in years.  Whether I am gone for five days or two, I pack a carry-on.  I used to pack with the mindset of outfit options.  “I may wear this, I may wear that”…but as time went on, I discovered this kind of thinking meant a heavy, heavy suitcase and a bag full of clean clothes when I got home.  Which of course seems like a waste. When I travel, I am moving, I’ve got places to go – I am definitely not in my hotel changing clothes.  : )  I may pack an extra shirt option, but for the most part, my outfits are planned before I leave.  Also, when I arrive somewhere, I am ready to get going.  I loathe waiting at Baggage Check!

The fact that I adore my bag pictured above (it was the best gift!) motivates me to fit everything in it no matter the event.  I LOVE carrying that little suitcase.  I feel so stylish!  A few other luggage options have caught my eye as of late, and I thought I would share them with you.  These are all carry-on size so no checking bags/luggage lost/time lost for you!

luggage 1

1  /  2  /  3  /  4  /  5  /  6  /  7  /  8  /  9  /  10

luggage 2

1  /  2  /  3  /  4  /  5  /  6  /  7  /  8  /  9  /  10

I’m headed to Cali this weekend, and my little bag is going with me!

What kind of packer are you?

16 Responses to “Traveling Light”

1. Sue May 10, 2016 at 8:56 am #

This is inspiring! I am the worst packer. I just stuff everything in there and hope for the best. Maybe if I had a cute little bag, I would be motivated to plan better!

• Grace May 11, 2016 at 2:15 am #

A cute bag seriously helps!!! xo, G

2. lisa May 10, 2016 at 8:57 am #

Vintage look is so fun

• Grace May 11, 2016 at 2:16 am #

Thanks Lisa!

3. Emily Henderson May 10, 2016 at 10:38 am #

Okay, you and I are definitely not related. I always overpack, and we travel a bunch. Sigh….. I need to do better!

• Grace May 11, 2016 at 2:17 am #

You will! xo And really, it doesn’t matter, I just found my mind is more organized when I travel with a smaller bag.

4. CM May 10, 2016 at 1:09 pm #

My problem with carrying on is liquids. If it’s a long trip, there’s no way I can fit all the potions and products necessary to my beauty routine in a single Ziploc bag. Plus, I hate fighting people for space in the overhead bins. I love the idea of being carryon-only, though, so if you have any tips, please share!

• Grace May 11, 2016 at 2:18 am #

I buy tiny little Ziploc bags and squirt the number of pumps I need into them for the number of days I am gone. Works great! Hope that helps, thank you so much for commenting! G

5. Anonymous May 10, 2016 at 1:20 pm #

I wish you would post a picture of your bag before you go to California. I don’t know how you do this. What about all of your hair products and makeup? My makeup bag alone could fill up
    your little suitcase!

• Grace May 11, 2016 at 2:19 am #

I will try to remember that! I can tell you that all of my clothes are rolled very tightly, and I put all of my liquidy toiletries in small Ziploc bags!

6. Kelly Kay May 10, 2016 at 1:46 pm #

I love this post. But most of all, since I am your dear friend, I LOVE reading the comments asking how you possibly fit all of your make up & hair products in to your bag. People, people. I don’t know how to properly explain the Grace Mitchell beauty routine. Just think of a beautiful, colorful bird. They sleep on a perch, beak under wing, wake up and begin to sing; not a feather out of place. This is Grace Mitchell in the morning. She’s a freak! She hops out of bed, spends NINETY SECONDS getting ready from bedside to hotel door, looks smashing and then waits for the rest of us, wondering how … and why … and what world event will take place before we are ready. It is maddening. However! … Traveling with her has inspired me to pack more thoughtfully and therefore I have not had to check a bag in a long time, even though I am a normal woman that needs umpteen products to feel presentable in the morning. Think travel-size bottles galore and double-duty outfit pieces. Love you G!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Any other Grace Mitchell travel gals that can weigh in on this anomaly of a woman?

• Grace May 11, 2016 at 2:21 am #

So this made me laugh and laugh. I have never been called a “beautiful, colorful bird”, and I kind of love it. 😉 I’m not sure how smashing I look, but I am speedy. Maybe sharing a bathroom with my brothers helped me with that. 🙂 Love you so much KK!

PS – I will always be happy to wait on you. 🙂

7. Val May 10, 2016 at 2:21 pm #

I can tell I would like your friend Kelly Kay very much! That was a hilarious comment. It made my afternoon!

• Grace May 11, 2016 at 2:21 am #

HA!! Yes, she’s amazing!!

8. shannon July 18, 2016 at 1:23 pm #

The mint green suitcase (#4 in the first set) is speaking to me…but the link is broken! Could you provide the name of it or a new link? Such a pretty roundup!

My new travel challenge is to take only a personal item-size tote. It’s definitely easier in summer and when you’re going somewhere to stay with someone who can lend you an extra pair of socks or a sweater.