Creating A Thanksgiving Tablescape

thanksgiving tablescape ideas

I love to set a beautiful table.  Mixing and  matching items I have collected at estate sales and thrift stores with pieces I have purchased new is big fun for me.  As you can imagine, Thanksgiving is really exciting, because I get to come up with a table scheme.  In the past, I have been asked how I get my ideas, so along with showing you this year’s color palette and layout, I thought I would tell you about my process of dressing a table.

But before I get to that, I am so excited to be part of the Blogger Stylin’ Home Tours: Thanksgiving Table Edition hosted by Lindsay of the White Buffalo Styling Company today!  If you have landed here via Iron & Twine, welcome!  I am so honored to be the next stop in the tour after Michelle.  She is such a sweetheart, and her bright countenance and beautiful ideas are so inspiring!

When I am pondering a table scheme, I often mentally flip through my brain file of interesting color combinations or textures I have seen.  For this Thanksgiving season, I wanted a color combo off the beaten path, and instantly, a space designed by Mary McDonald that was shown on Million Dollar Decorators years ago popped into my head.

mary mcdonald designs monika chain’s boutique in nyc

Did anyone else love this show as much as I did?  Sigh.

I remember being fascinated by this uncommon color matchup – emerald green and lavender with flashes of gold.  It looked so chic and sophisticated, and I thought it would make for an interesting table.

mary mcdonald designs monika chaing’s boutique in nyc

I gave you a sneak peek on Instagram last week of my plan.

instagram @astoriedstyle

instagram @astoriedstyle

And here is how it turned out!

thanksgiving table

The table was covered in a lavender tablecloth for the backdrop and layered across the center with a white and gold runner.

For the centerpiece, I wanted to keep it simple.  I used the bottom of a ceramic pumpkin and filled it with ornamental kale purchased at my local nursery.  I like this idea because I can plant the kale in my yard when Thanksgiving is over – no dead centerpiece for us this year!

thanksgiving tablescape

The silvery green leaves accented with eggplant really enforce the overall scheme.

kale as centerpiece

The plate combination is probably my favorite part of the whole design.  Classic vintage jadeite serves as the dinner plate, followed by the gold and white antique salad plate, and the malachite dessert plate.

thanksgiving table

A pretty emerald linen napkin unites the shades of green.

thanksgiving table

I love to mix flatware (rules? what rules?!), but I kept it to a minimum due to all of the different patterns happening in the plates.  Gold bamboo forks and spoons and mother of pearl knives make the perfect jewelry for this table.  I also used a dessert fork with a more flowy pattern.

thanksgiving tablescape ideas

For glassware, I utilized mostly new pieces – a lavender glass tumbler with a floral motif for water, and a crystal bordeaux glass for iced tea.

thanksgiving table

The elegant stemmed glass on the left of the plate is from the 1920’s and will be filled with a pretty fruit salad.

thanksgiving table

One of my favorite finds this year has been this collection of vintage hen salt cellars.  I have several different colors, and I thought they would make lovely favors for each family at my table.  I will have cute little boxes people can take them home in after choosing their favorite.

salt cellar

salt cellar

Of course, Thanksgiving is about much more than well dressed tables and delicious food, it is about the gathering of people we love and expressing the gratefulness in our hearts for all that we have.  Traditions are often passed down in a family, but assuredly, you can create your own, too.  My dear friend Kelly Kay shared one of her family traditions with me, and now I carry it on in my own little family.

Her grandmother had a little box of prayers at her Thanksgiving table, and every year, each family member would choose their favorite, and read it.  I loved her telling that story, and I was so beyond excited when Kelly Kay copied that little box and gave it to me as a gift.  Such a treasure!

prayer box

This one is one of my favorites.

table prayer

I place the cards on the table after the main meal and before dessert.  Everyone needs to digest a little, and I do not want food to get on them.  ; )  Then each person can choose one or two they like best.  This should be extra special this year since three of my four children can read now.

table prayers

Thank you so much for joining me today!  The next stop on the Thanksgiving table tour is Claire Brody!  Click this link to see her post – I LOVE the modern style of her table!

If you would like to, please follow me on Instagram.  You can subscribe to this blog by putting your email in the subscribe opening in the right sidebar!  Or you can follow me on Bloglovin.  Thank you so much for reading!

thanksgiving table

table prayer

37 Responses to “Creating A Thanksgiving Tablescape”

1. Lori Burke November 3, 2015 at 6:19 am #

I love your tablescaping, the colors are great, and I love that the cetnerpiece is so simple and practical. But, most of all, I love the box of table cards with prayers. Can you help me find where to get this? or, was this just made specially for you?

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:13 am #

Lori, me too! It is CRAZY how much response I have gotten on those cards! They really are wonderful and special. But i have good news for you! Check out the latest instagram from KellyKay. 🙂

Thank you for reading. 🙂

• Lori Burke November 4, 2015 at 6:24 am #

So happy! can’t wait to see them!THANKS

• Sam November 7, 2015 at 11:14 pm #

Those grace cards are SO LOVELY!!! Thanks for sharing that info on Kelly Kay Paper!!

And I’m dying over those jadeite and malachite plates. GORGEOUS! Not to mention the hen salt cellars!! #blownaway

LOVE this!!

xx, Sam

• Grace November 20, 2015 at 1:37 pm #

Oh thanks Sam! Yes, KellyKay is amazing, and she is local, woohoo! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. xo

2. Emily November 3, 2015 at 6:39 am #

To sit at your table Grace! I love how you found your inspiration from long ago (yes I loved that show too!) It’s a very beautiful and unexpected color combo and it looks divine!

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:13 am #

Thanks Emily! I so wish they would bring back the show! 😉 xo

3. Kristi November 3, 2015 at 7:12 am #

Grace, I love your thoughtful and beautiful table presentation! Would it be possible to share the prayer cards in more detail? I would love to have the prayers with their Scripture verses-even if I have to make my own prayer cards!

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:14 am #

Hi Kristi, I too love those precious cards. I have good news for you though, check out Kelly Kay’s most recent Instagram for more info.

4. Laura Ingalls Gunn November 3, 2015 at 8:50 am #

I absolutely adore the idea about the salt cellar hens as a favor. I also had to contact Kelly Kay to see if she will begin selling the Thanksgiving cards. They truly are a treasure.

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:15 am #

Thanks Laura! You can find a few collections on Ebay and Etsy for a couple of dollars a hen! I would snag them before they’re gone. 😉

And yes, those cards are a treasure! But I have good news. See Kelly Kay’s latest Instagram!

5. Gwen, The Makerista November 3, 2015 at 8:59 am #

So beautiful, friend!

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:15 am #

6. Kimberly Duran November 3, 2015 at 9:04 am #

What a beautiful colour combination and I love how you shared why you chose each piece. The malachite plates are just stunnning! xx

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:16 am #

Kimberly, thank you so much! I am a malachite lover for sure! xo

7. Dawne November 3, 2015 at 9:21 am #

I love your table and using greens as a centerpiece! Where can I order the grace cards from? They are so beautiful!

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:25 am #

Hi Dawne, aren’t they sweet? I love them too. See Kelly Kay’s most recent Instagram for some exciting news on the cards!

Thank you for reading and for the comment. xo G

8. Carrie November 3, 2015 at 10:14 am #

Beautiful!! I love, love, LOVE the jewel toned color palette!

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:25 am #

Thank you, Carrie! xo

9. Katrina November 3, 2015 at 10:38 am #

I love love your table all dressed up for Thanksgiving and it tells a story, so very pretty! I heart Jadeite, and hope to one day have a pretty collection…very inspired by your table!

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:26 am #

Thank you, Katrina! Collecting jadeite (or anything for that matter!) can feel long and slow, but after awhile, you will see your stock start to take shape. It’s a good feeling! xo

10. Arielle November 3, 2015 at 10:50 am #

That malachite and gold combo is just killer! Love it.

• Grace November 3, 2015 at 11:27 am #

Arielle, thank you! I was really happy with how it turned out – the unexpected color pairing is truly lovely together. Thank you for reading and commenting!

11. Stephanie ~ Casa Watkins November 3, 2015 at 1:25 pm #

Beautiful tablescape! I love the mix of jadeite and malachite! Simply beautiful. Pinned it!!

• Grace November 6, 2015 at 9:00 am #

Thank you, Stephanie!

12. cassie primitive & proper November 3, 2015 at 5:27 pm #

WOW! so pretty- those plates are amazing! love it all!

• Grace November 6, 2015 at 9:00 am #

Thank you, Cassie! It is so fun to use my collection in different ways! xo

13. Beth November 4, 2015 at 8:04 pm #

Such a pretty table! I love your little salt cellar and that sweet prayer box tradition!

• Grace November 6, 2015 at 9:02 am #

Beth, thank you! I was so excited when I found that sweet salt cellar collection! I’m hoping KellyKay will have her prayer boxes for sale soon so keep your eye out! xo

14. Jennifer Bridgman November 4, 2015 at 8:06 pm #

What a pretty table, Grace. Just the right amount of off the beaten path. That little box of prayers is so sweet – what a special gift and now tradition for your family.

• Grace November 6, 2015 at 9:04 am #

Thank you, Jennifer! It was fun to play with this color palette. 🙂 I really appreciate you reading and taking the time to comment. xo

15. Corinne November 5, 2015 at 10:26 am #

I love your table! Malachite, Jadite and lavender… beautiful! I think my favorite aspect would have to be the prayers. What a wonderful way to share time together and be reminded of your many blessings!

• Grace November 6, 2015 at 9:04 am #

Hi Corinne, thank you! And I agree about the prayers. 🙂 xo

16. Amber November 7, 2015 at 2:41 pm #

This is absolutely STUNNING! I was hanging on to every word! The colors and use of thrifted pieces is so inspiring and just gorgeous! And the little cards are the perfect touch!

• Grace November 20, 2015 at 1:38 pm #

Amber, you are so kind! Thank you so much for your comment. Tables are so fun for me to put together. 😉 xo

17. Ann November 16, 2015 at 4:42 am #

I absolutely LOVE this! The salt cellars are definitely the little stars of the table. I just found some on ebay – but am wondering where did you get the tiny salt cellar spoons – I will need something like that. Thanks SO much for the inspiration!

• Grace November 20, 2015 at 1:30 pm #

Hi Ann, thank you so much! I love those little salt cellars, too. It’s funny…I received my first few as a wedding present, and I had never seen them before and didn’t know how to use them exactly. I definitely did not appreciate them enough, and now they are part of my little treasure collection! I buy the salt spoons on Etsy, I especially like the mother of pearl ones. Here is a good gathering of them: Hope that helps! xo