Secret Sources: The Best, Most Affordable Bamboo Shades

I have long been on the quest for the perfect bamboo shade.  The natural organic feel to them really grips me.  I especially love them in this room (one of my favorite rooms ever) by Lauren Liess.

lauren liess

lauren liess

I have searched for the perfect, AFFORDABLE bamboo shade for years.  Seriously.  I have looked through clearance racks at all sorts of stores and ordered samples from all over the place.  And although it is entirely possible this secret has been out for awhile, it wasn’t until six months or so ago that I discovered them.

You see, a bamboo shade has to have sort of a tortoise shell feel to them, and be light in color, but not too white and not too honey.  It is a very delicate balance.  The weave is also very important; not too reed-like and not too wide like blinds.

I stumbled on them quite accidentally…

While strolling through Lowes, I happened upon a whole section (that was one aisle apart from the regular drapes, blinds, and shades by the way) of bamboo shades.

A quick little look-see led me to this color, which was nearly the color I imagined in my head, called natural bamboo.

My interest was instantly piqued, and I felt a little excited.  But wait a second, I live in an old house with old windows that sometimes do not fit standard sizes.  Could this even work?

And that’s when I saw that LOWES WILL CUT THESE FOR YOU TO THE EXACT RIGHT SIZE.

Say Whaaaaaaaaaaaat???

I grabbed one for color comparing and headed home.  When I got home, I held it up to see how it looked, and it looked fab.  Then I measured the windows for the sizes I needed and went back.  If you have ever priced custom shades, you know how very expensive they can be.  (however fitting for certain circumstances and situations)  But since none of these were going to be the showpiece of the room, I did not need anything overly fancy, I just needed something that looked great.

So far, these bamboo shades live in three rooms of my house.

The Boys Room.

They were placed in there with the hopes of helping my little men to sleep later.  Notice the word “hopes”.

The Dining Room.

And what we call “The Library”.  (I spy three little blonde heads)

I really like how the blue velvet drapes look with the lighter bamboo color along with the wood (original 1921!) paneling.

I want to say the price for these beauties ranges from twenty something dollars for the narrowest size (18″) to eighty something dollars for the widest size.  (which I believe is pretty wide, six feet maybe?)  For the quality and coloring, the price is right, friends.

I love the tortoise highlights in the pattern.

We have had these shades about five months now, and I have been really happy with them.  They work great, and seem to be of good quality.  It has surprised me to be honest.  The light filtration is just right!  (well, it is just right for what I was looking for which was not a blackout shade)  You can view the shades online here, but I think it is nice to see the color and pattern in person.

If you have always wanted this bamboo/natural look, but did not want to pay the custom price, these shades are for you!

More Secret Sources posts here.

24 Responses to “Secret Sources: The Best, Most Affordable Bamboo Shades”

1. Emily April 17, 2014 at 5:15 am #

I have a good friend who also swears by Lowes bamboo shades. Good to know that you think they are great too! It’s a great resource for your readers.

• Grace April 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

Emily, you have smart friends. ;) I do love them! Hope lots of readers love them, too. xo, G

2. Shelley Fitzgerald April 17, 2014 at 5:56 am #

They look great! I cannot wait to get them up my house!

• Grace April 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm #

Yay yay yay! ;)

3. Susan Lee April 17, 2014 at 6:14 am #

Thanks, will check them out. Love your blog!

• Grace April 17, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Hi Susan, thank you so much for reading. I also really appreciate you taking the time to comment and say something. I know lots of people read here, but the comments are what make it real, ya know? That’s why I try so hard to respond to every email and comment I get, because I know it takes time to send them to me. Thanks again, G

• Grace April 17, 2014 at 3:26 pm #

Oh, and hope you love the shades!

4. Tracy Laverty April 17, 2014 at 7:32 am #

I love your windows with the bamboo shades. This is a great tip! I love your style of decorating! And I’m enjoying the process of your bathroom which is going to be a stunner! Hope you’re feeling better!

5. Mary April 17, 2014 at 8:03 am #

Grace, you are a wealth of information as well as a creative genius!

• Grace April 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

Mary, what a nice comment! I am happy that I have grown over the years in my confidence in my design talent, and that has really helped me to go for it. I look back at older pictures of previous homes we have lived in (which I have pondered sharing) and definitely see my style change through different stages of life. Just like anyone else, I try things and tweak as necessary. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment here. xo, G

6. cris April 17, 2014 at 1:16 pm #

I’ve had these same shades from Lowe’s up for about 5 maybe 6 yrs. Still look and work just as great as when I put them up! You’ll be very happy with them :)

• Grace April 17, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Cris, this is so good to know! I’m almost embarrassed they have been around that long without me knowing about them as I am a frequent Lowes shopper. It really threw me off to find them on a different aisle, but I guess they had to do that because of the machine?? But I am looking forward to lots of years staring at them. :) Thanks so much for sharing! G

7. Lisa T April 17, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

I have these too!! I even did a special order from this brand for my house and even that was affordable!!!……And for $99 they sent someone to install for me! Loooooove the people at my Lowes :-)

• Grace April 17, 2014 at 3:37 pm #

Hey Lisa, cool! Yeah, I’ve been really impressed with the Levolor quality. I need to look at some of their other options for my girls room! For some reason, their room is always too hot or too cold, so I thought some shades in there would help this problem. The bamboo color doesn’t really go with the color scheme in there (I’ve already tried), so I am looking into other ideas. Thanks for the tip! xo, G

8. Melissa April 17, 2014 at 4:22 pm #

Hi Grace, absolutely love the blinds and think my upstairs may be calling…I live in a 1929 Colonial and I think they might work. I saw that they cut them to custom width. What about the length?

• Grace April 18, 2014 at 9:58 am #

Hey Melissa, nice to know you are a fellow old house-er. :) They do not change the length as far as I know, and for me, this has not been a problem. Yes, the shades are longer than my window, but they rest really nicely on the sill, and you don’t really notice it at all. I would definitely give them a try. If you want, email me, and I can send you a pic of what mine look like rolled all the way down. Have a great Easter!

9. Andrea Crawford April 18, 2014 at 6:59 am #

Have you had an issue for these being way too long? I’m trying to figure out a solution for this on a project now.

• Grace April 18, 2014 at 10:02 am #

Hey Andrea, the shades are not the exact length of my windows, but this has not been a problem. Since my house is old, the windows have relatively deep sills, and so the extra kind of rests on the sill. It is not noticeable really at all, but if you would like, send me an email, and I can send you a photo of what my shades look like down. The length has never really bothered me, and I have never asked, but I’m assuming they cannot be altered. Hope that helps! Thanks for reading, G

10. ange April 18, 2014 at 2:11 pm #

I discovered those this past fall. I want more for my bedroom but will have to wait a bit for them. They look fabulous in your home!

• Grace April 30, 2014 at 1:35 pm #

Ange, thank you so much! I bet they will look great in your bedroom, I would love to see a pic! xo

11. Mimi July 12, 2014 at 7:29 am #

Hi Grace,

Beautiful pictures!!! I followed the link from your comment on LGN about these shades. Quick question…did you hang these shades inside the window frame? I only ask because that’s the mounting style I prefer, and on LGN they were hung outside the window frame. Just want to make sure it’s possible:) Thank you!

• Grace July 15, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Hey Mimi, welcome! Yes! I did hang mine on the inside of the frame, and they work great. You can hang them both ways. :) Hope that helps! G

12. Tiff Deimund August 4, 2014 at 5:11 pm #

thank you ever so much!!!