Master Bathroom Renovation: Island Counter

This might be my first Saturday post ever, but I realize I have not written as much this week as I usually do, so I thought I would update you on the renovation of our Master Bathroom.

In fact, just yesterday, the countertop arrived for our little island furniture piece that rests next to the sink.  My favorite element about the island (besides the fact that it looks great) is that the middle section of the back (which you can see in the photo above) pulls out to reveal a hamper!  Since this piece is about 44″ wide, and 24″ deep, I knew the drawers would be crazy deep, which did not seem necessary for the items we would be storing.  Toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, etc. do not really require nearly two feet of drawer depth.  Therefore, the idea for the hamper was born.

The three drawers on either side of the unit will provide plenty of storage, and I am so thrilled with how the design turned out overall.  The carpenter on this job has been fabulous, and I have really been impressed with his design knowledge and ideas.  After I told him I wanted to incorporate the shower tile pattern  somewhere else in the bathroom, he came up with the idea to turn the pattern on the horizontal and add it to the cabinet.

When the carpenter first brought in the unfinished piece, my mouth hit the floor.

I knew it was really special, and I told him again and again how spectacular I thought his work was.

Of course, then I had to find a countertop, and I visited nearly every remnant shop in my area.  Since I didn’t need a very large piece, I was hoping to find something exotic and interesting at a great price.  I also knew I wanted a white background, and I wanted the marble to be honed.  (not shiny or polished) I was sure I wanted something fairly thick too, at least 3 cm, which is a little over an inch.

There were a few stones that caught my eye…like this one.

But I decided it might be too boring.

I actually almost picked this marble.  It had kind of a blue tinge to it, and the movement was really interesting.

But then I thought that maybe with the chevron wood and marble floor, it would be too much movement.  I want this bathroom to be restful of course, so I did not want to go too crazy.  When I found this Danby Calacatta Marble, I knew it would be perfect.

Side Note:  If you are wondering what the difference is between calcutta marble and calacatta marble, here is how it was explained to me.  Calcutta marble has more of a gray background and is a softer look, whereas calacatta marble has more of a white background with more powerful and striking veining.

I really appreciated the Danby marble because not only would the deep gray accents pick up on the pewter tub and antiqued mirror, but the pattern and veining looked like a bolder pattern of the marble on our floor.  (pardon the dust)

Plus I loved how the gold flecks in the Danby highlighted our unlacquered brass faucet fixtures.

My faucets are aging beautifully by the way.  I decided to let them age on their own, rather than forcing the issue, and I have enjoyed seeing them take on their own patina.

I have yet to add the hardware to the drawers and hamper, but I still plan on using the blue opaline pulls that were originally in this bathroom.  Although I was thinking yesterday about getting a brass backplate for each end of the pulls to add a little glam. (??)  You can see the blue pulls in this image.

Can you believe this is the same space?  It is shocking.  I can feel the finish line though, friends.

So, so close.

Have a great weekend. xo

More Bathroom Renovation Posts:

The Original 1921 Bathroom + The Plan

How We Found Our Antique Barber Shop Sink

Gutting The Bathroom, Tile, & Ideas

Wood & Marble Floor Installation

15 Responses to “Master Bathroom Renovation: Island Counter”

1. Frances @ Improvementlist April 26, 2014 at 6:53 am #

Oh you are going to get such great use out of a hamper. Wonderful that you were able to incorporate it into such a beautiful island.

• Grace April 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

Frances, yes, I am definitely excited about the hamper! You should see what we are using now – a basket we have had since the beginning of time with no bottom. Lovely. 🙂

Can’t wait to see your one room challenge! xo

2. Victoria April 26, 2014 at 9:16 am #

Grace, I am gobsmacked! I adore that Island, your carpenter did a fantastic job. I wasn’t sure about some of the pieces but seeing them all come together is exciting. After your medical troubles you must be looking forward to a bath in the finished room so much!

• Grace April 30, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

Victoria, I will have you know that I love the word “gobsmacked” and am determined to use that description more often. 🙂 Yes, I am excited to see it come together, too! I am definitely a bath person so yes, I am looking forward to that first soak! Thank you so much for reading and commenting, G

• Victoria April 30, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

It’s a very British word! You should try flabbergasted too 🙂

• Grace April 30, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

Ha! I actually use that word in real life. In fact, I said it today after a particularly paltry episode in the grocery store with my son. 🙂 My kids have always gone everywhere with me, and they usually do really well, but we had a trip that was off to say the least. I was quite flabbergasted with his behavior and told him so. Hopefully, tomorrow I will be gobsmacked by his actions. 🙂

3. Rebecca April 26, 2014 at 1:29 pm #

Oh Grace it is looking absolutely amazing!!! Love love love how you’ve pulled it all together and the finishes are gorgeous!! Super talented girl!! Hard to believe it is the same space!

• Grace April 30, 2014 at 1:42 pm #

Rebecca, I couldn’t have done it without you and your beautiful tile! xo

4. Tracy Laverty April 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm #

Umm, this bathroom is already a stunner! I love that island with the fretwork! The marble and brass hardware and those wood floors intermixed with marble- genius. You look like your so close to the finish! Can’t wait.

5. Emily April 28, 2014 at 5:32 am #

I’m in awe!
    And, you have some carpenter!
    And, I really love how you have mixed brass in this room. Most people would go with chrome.
    It’s a bold, beautiful move!

• Grace April 30, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Emily, thank you! There were a few riskier elements in the room, and so far, they have come off so great! Thank you so much for following along. xo

6. Tiffany April 28, 2014 at 7:05 am #

Grace it’s truly spectacular! I love the idea of the brass black plate for the original blue pulls! I can’t wait to see the end result, the finish line is so close!

• Grace April 30, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

Tiffany, thanks so much for commenting on the backplate pull situation. I think I’m going to do some looking around…my budget is t.a.p.p.e.d. so this needs to be some sort of handmade operation. 🙂 xo

7. Emily Ross May 9, 2014 at 8:03 am #

I’ve read a few posts here and I can actually relate. Last July my Fiancé and I were looking for a reliable bathroom remodeling company in Naperville, IL and we were having a tough time. Our Pastor recommended Classic Kitchen & Bath, and I must say the service was superb. The CKB team was so professional and very knowledgeable about the latest design trends and installation. What I liked the most is that they kept us in the loop of information. I suggest you check out http://www.myclassickitchenandbath.com or call 630-515-9151 for all residential bathroom remodeling concerns.