Hello All! How was your Christmas? Ours was wonderful, and I am still seeing the
mess, effects, fun of it in my living room. I don’t think I’ve quite come off of the “Christmas high” quite yet – I need to get back in the swing of things!
It’s so hard to believe this is the last day of 2013. I mean, really, did this year zip by for you? In honor of all things 2013, I thought I would show you the top posts that have been published this year. These are the posts you loved the most; that is, this is what WordPress tells me. Thank you for reading, thank you so much. (Gold stars to all of you who have read every one of these posts, and if you haven’t seen them yet, click the links to check them out!)
1. Gebhardt Guest Room/Office – I know you guys love love love the reveals of my interior design work and have been wondering where they have been the last several months. Well, truth be told, they haven’t been photographed. This year has been really great and exciting in many ways, and it has also been full to the brim. I’ll get around to getting the after images of everything, don’t worry, but for now, recall the pretty makeover that is the Gebhardt Office and Guest Room.
2. Great Gatsby Fashion & How To Get It – The Great Gatsby had quite a bit of hype in 2013, and subsequently, 1920’s fashion is on the rise. Typically what we are wearing on our bodies has bounced from what is trending in the interiors world and visa versa, so expect to see more art deco glam in fashion and home design in the future. For now, find out in this article how to get your own Great Gatsby style.
3. DIY Acrylic/Lucite Curtain Rods With Plumbing Hardware – My DIY Acrylic Rods are still a hit, and it makes me so happy to think of all of you enjoying them at home. I put a little twist on them this year when I changed up the hardware and made this a DIY project where all you need is in the plumbing department from your local hardware store. Update: These are on my front porch, and several months later, they still look amazing!
4. DIY Hand Stamped Fabrics (Block Printing) – I had always wanted to try hand stamping fabrics, and after grabbing a few supplies, I went for it. This is an easy project, and I hope to develop my technique more in 2014. I will, of course, keep you up to date with all of my projects.
5. Patterned Paint Rollers – It’s funny, I had kind of forgotten about these, but they are really something I must try! Yet another project for 2014!
6. Using Wallpaper In Panels – There is no doubt that wallpaper is making a big comeback, and this post can give you lots of great ideas for how to use it in your home if you do not want to commit to fully papered rooms. (P.S. see my wallpaper paneled stairway here)
7. Our Mini Kitchen Makeover – Our kitchen makeover went over so well, and I was immensely pleased. Mostly because we did little more than paint and change hardware and light fixtures. It really is a terrific transformation, and yes, this is the same room. : ) Read and see all of the befores and afters in this post.
8. DIY Chalkboard Paint Backsplash – Someday I will get my dream backsplash though I am still deciding what that is. In the meantime, I used some leftover chalkboard paint and painted my kitchen backsplash in a moment of “I must do something to make this better” fervor. It has held up beautifully and really works aesthetically in this space.
9. DIY Wine Barrel Mirror – I was so flattered recently when Bob Vila decided to write an article on this DIY, but then I noticed he kept referring to me as “Kate” in the article. Oh well, Kate is a nice name, and this is still a lovely project. P.S. My name is Grace.
10. My Closet To Laundry Room Makeover – Who knew that such a little closet could turn into a lovely laundry space? Though it still needs a few finishing touches, I am so thankful for this laundry “room” and its convenience.
11. My Vintage Settee Makeover – Ah, the saga over what to do with the settees! Back and forth, back and forth, ordering samples, ordering more samples, and then, wham! It all came together. Fabulously.
13. How To Care For Maidenhair Ferns: The Diva of Houseplants – Oh, I had some fun writing this satirical essay on how to care for maidenhair ferns. It is useful and funny, I still like reading it myself! (or perhaps I just think I’m really funny, ha)
14. My Home Depot Patio Style Challenge Reveal – Being a part of the Home Depot Challenges has been a really exciting part of my year. I loved doing the patio challenge (I still make those pancakes nearly every week!), and you can see my holiday challenge here.
15. Alt Summit NYC 2013 – And last but not least, the article about that time I met and chatted with Martha Stewart. It was pretty amazing! Not to mention that every Alt I attend is inspiring; in fact, I am slated to speak at the big Alt conference this January in Utah! I’m really honored.
2013 brought new, exciting opportunities my way, and I got to see another year of my family’s growth. I am, however, looking forward to 2014 and a fresh start. For one thing, I do believe I am done with medical drama, so cheers to no surgeries in 2014! (it’s hard to believe I’ve had five this year – thank you so much for bearing with me through all of that) I definitely plan on simplifying my life, making my schedule easier to manage, which in turn will hopefully lead to more sleep! (and less nights of going to bed at 2 and waking up at 5 – oh, and also to catching up on email) Looking back at this year, I see my mistakes, my unforeseen challenges, my improvements, my joys. (which of course, are mostly those four little faces) I’m so thankful that you spend your time with me here, and I am truly excited to share with you the upcoming projects I have in store for 2014. Most of all, I couldn’t end the year without thanking my husband – through his encouragement and support, this blog is made possible. Here’s to a beautiful new year for all of us! Cheers. xoxo, Grace
P.S. I really am interested to know, what was your favorite project or post this year? Anything in particular resonate with you? Is there something you’d like to see more of in 2014? I’m listening!