Lighting For The Addition + A Sofa

Now that the Addition is so so close to being done, I am in full decorating mode as I try to get it together.  In my mind, I knew I wanted the antique factory table I showed you yesterday, and I knew I wanted a roll arm sofa.  I was trying to channel my inner Sofia Coppola, of course.

Lonny-Magazine-English-Roll-Arm-Sofa-1

lonny

lonny

lonny

That arm line is simply delicious to me, and I knew it was exactly what I wanted.  However, as we all know, a good sofa is expensive, and although I will always say to spend your money on well-made upholstery, I was hoping to get what I wanted at a good price, if at all possible.

Enter the Pottery Barn Carlisle Sofa.  After seeing one in a friend’s home, I was impressed by its lines and comfort.  The down blend cushions are very well done, comfy, and they don’t look shot to heck after you sit on them.  (know what I mean?)  The only thing I don’t love is the legs.  I really like the type of legs with little brass wheels, or something a little less mass manufactured looking for this type of sofa.  But hey, legs are usually super easy to change out, so no biggie.

pottery barn carlisle sofa

pottery barn carlisle sofa

The Carlisle Sofa with the fabric I wanted was $1899 plus my designer discount, which is a good price for a nice sofa, but I still had hope I could find something somewhere.  I had the idea to call the Pottery Barn Outlet (the closest one to me is in San Marcos), and the sales guy who answered my call that day was counting his lucky stars.  (not really)  They actually had several Carlisles so I had him take me through every one and their price while I furiously took notes.  He eventually came to an organic cotton canvas version in ivory that was wait for it…$400.  Other than a few dust marks, there was nothing wrong with it, so I told him, “Great!  Ring me up!”  Slight problem though, they won’t let you pay over the phone.  AND you have to go in person to pick it up.  AND they will only hold something 24 hours.

I had just had surgery when this was going down, so I knew I couldn’t get there.

Enter my baby brother, Clayton.  This sweet soul had just happened to mention he was going to San Antonio for work (San Antonio and San Marcos are close in proximity), and he agreed to get up earlier than he had planned to get there and buy the sofa for me.  And so he did.  We skyped in the store, and he showed me the sofa and looked at it thoroughly for me.  And what a gem, he even took me through (via Skype) the Restoration Hardware Outlet so I could “shop”.

1003533_10101063728416613_873498374_n

He’s single, ladies.   Single!  He has a good job, owns his own car, and doesn’t live with my parents.  He looks good, smells good, has a heart of gold, can sing and play the guitar, and will skype with his sister through outlet stores.  (I predict it will be less than five minutes after he reads this that he calls me and tells me to delete this part of the story, ha!)

Anyway, we have a sofa in the Addition now, and I am so happy with it!  This is the 80″ version, and it fit perfectly in the space.

You may be wondering, “Grace, you have four kids, how in the world are you going to keep this clean?!”  And I would tell you, that is a very good question. When I bought the sofa, I figured that since it was only $400, I could easily get a slipcover for it (Pottery Barn sells them), and that is probably what I will do.  I had the Folex out no less than five times yesterday, and that is not a way to live.  (for me, at least)

I plan on making two pillows for the back.   Perhaps in Orangerie fabric???  I have a few yards in my fabric stash.  (I also used it here.)

designers guild

designers guild

Another exciting development in the Addition is lighting.  The sconces are in, installed, and I am thrilled to pieces with them!  I chose the French Deco Sconce in Antique Burnished Brass by Visual Comfort, and let me tell you, I was more than impressed with their quality when they came.  They are heavy, beautifully put together, and the finish on them is to die for!  (I bought them from this site which normally has great deals on closeout and open box lighting!)

visual comfort french deco sconce

visual comfort french deco sconce

The picture above is pretty, but they are sooo much prettier in person!

You may remember from this post that we had chosen a capiz light for the center of the room.  But after receiving email after email about it being backordered until kingdom come, we gave up, and I ordered something else.  Which of course, is backordered.  It’s supposed to ship out November 6th, so I will update you once it is in.

For now, it looks like this up there.

I still need a desk and a sideboard for the room, and upholstery fabric for this chair that has been sitting in my garage for forever.  It has terrific bones, but I am stumped on fabric.  I was thinking perhaps something with a black background?  Seen anything amazing lately?

When the sconces were installed, it was a happy day, and I had seen them on the wall, but the electrician hadn’t turned on the electricity to the room before I had to leave.  Imagine my happiness later that night when I pulled up and saw this.

Our room, with electricity.  It was great.  I even went in and snapped a few photos in the evening glow.

You may have noticed the rug – I bought it at Home Goods the other day.  It has an interesting jute feel to it, but it’s not scratchy.  It seems durable, and I think it could pass for an older kilim look.  I’m letting it marinate for a bit.

It’s coming along!  Onward and forward.

22 Responses to “Lighting For The Addition + A Sofa”

1. Emily October 18, 2013 at 10:28 am #

It’s so fun to see this all come together Grace. I actually love the rug. And your scones–swoon! And your brother!!!! What a gem! Can’t believe you got such a deal on the sofa.

• Grace October 18, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

Emily, thank you so much! It’s been quite the process, hasn’t it? Whoosh! Okay, one vote for the rug. Noted. 🙂

2. Lindsey October 18, 2013 at 10:56 am #

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! ALL of it!What a spectacular environment and space you’ve created!

• Grace October 18, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Lindsey, thank you! I’m really excited about it!

3. Jennifer October 18, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Grace, the sofa is beautiful and I love it’s name! Carlisle, I mean Huston, can’t wait to come over and sit on it!

• Grace October 18, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Jennifer, oh my word, I am laughing so hard. Actually, when I asked Kent about the sofa and showed it to him, he smirked at the name, too. 🙂 I will always think of that sweet carlisle whenever I sit on it. 😉 xoxo

4. Susan M. October 18, 2013 at 11:08 am #

I’ll take one of each!

Maybe the title of your post s/b:
    French Deco Sconce: $314.90
    Carlisle sofa: $400
    Gem of a brother: PRICELESS

• Grace October 18, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Susan, ha! This is so sweet! He is priceless for sure. 🙂

5. Elizabeth H October 18, 2013 at 11:32 am #

Sweet, sweet Clayton! How is he still single!?!? Love the Addition! Beautiful and open – just like you!

• Grace October 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

Oh Elizabeth, so sweet. Thank you so much! I know about Clayton, right? I know she will be so so special. xoxo

6. Shauna Magnusen October 18, 2013 at 11:35 am #

I love the sofa and everything you’ve done to the addition. It doesn’t surprise me that Clayton went to the outlet for you. He’s probably one of the sweetest guys I know and a joy to work with. You forgot to mention that he dances too. He always entertains us with his dancing skills at work. Ask him to show you his new moves next time you see him. I’m glad everything is coming together.

• Grace October 18, 2013 at 8:27 pm #

Shauna, ha! This made me laugh out loud! Ask him to show you a move called “clear”. Actually, don’t. But do. 🙂 Thanks for your kind words. Send me an updated photo of your space, I’ve been thinking about you!

7. laura October 18, 2013 at 4:05 pm #

What a fab deal and a most amazing brother. Has he read the post yet?

• Grace October 18, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Laura, thanks! He did, and I received a call shortly after I posted this morning. Apparently, the sweet girls in his office were giggling when he got there this am and greeted him as “the heart of gold guy that doesn’t live with his parents” or something cute like that. They showed him the post, and then he called me. He was sweet about it though, and thanked me. Yup, he’s just like that.

8. Erin October 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Yay!! So glad you found something you like, AND that you have a sweet brother. Can’t wait to see the rest of the decorating in the addition – it’s gorgeous so far!

• Grace October 18, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Erin, yeah, me too! And I actually have three sweet brothers, though he probably has the most sweetness. They are all awesome though. 🙂 Thanks for the encouragement!!

9. Carrie October 18, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

Every time you have shared your choices for this room, I have thought “perfect!” Then you added the Carlisle sofa and I. Die. I love it so much! And I agree one hundred percent about the feet. I can’t wait to see the finished room and am so impressed, not only with the look of the Addition, but also with your ability to keep on keeping on after your surgery and complications. You rock.

• Grace October 22, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Carrie, thank you so much! You should check out the DIY I did on the feet. I put it on the blog today. 🙂 I’m plugging along! 🙂

10. Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door October 21, 2013 at 9:15 am #

I really love that rug!!

• Grace October 22, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Thanks Elizabeth!

11. MC October 22, 2013 at 10:53 pm #

This post is hysterical and I relate to both the obsessive hunting AND advertising your single brother! And once again, I ask myself if you, and now your siblings, are real people or stars in an ABC Family show. Glad you are feeling better and the addition looks amazing.

• Grace October 22, 2013 at 11:10 pm #

Mommy Chic, ha! I’m so happy you enjoyed it! You are funny! Hope you and fam are doing great! xoxo