Welcome to another Friday “Pinterest Taught Me How To”! There is some good good stuff in here today! Natural body tips, a recipe, organizational skills, and more!
1. How To Organize For Back To School – Well, the big news in the Mitchell household is that in a few short days (Tuesday to be exact), we will officially have a kindergartner. (
tear tears) He is thrilled as can be, and I am excited for him, but at the same time, it is the end of an era. The era of all of my babies at home. School year or no school year has never really made much of a difference in my life, but I’m sure that is all about to change. My four year old who loves his five year old brother with all of his heart cried in the car to me yesterday, “But Mom, I am going to miss him so much! He is my very, very best friend!” I cried with him, too. However, as I have gathered uniforms and a back pack and a lunch box, I have researched all things school organization. I jumped onto the bento lunch box train and purchased silicone cups in fun colors, decorative picks for fruit and veggie kabobs, and cute post-its for little lunch notes from Mommy. The baskets for dry goods and refrigerated goods (think quick lunch packing!) via Jen of iheartorganizing are genius, as well as this:
Hello! YES!! Let’s make this whole uniform thing as easy on my little guy as possible, right? Plus it helps me make sure I am keeping up fast enough with laundry.
Well done, Jen.
This next one is a terrific “how-to” for something I feel like we spend oodles of money on, and shouldn’t.
This photo was from our Home Depot Style Challenge “Pancakes On The Porch” front porch reveal, and we have eaten pancakes out there a bajillion times since this shoot. They are so so good (I included the recipe in the post), but we go through a ton of syrup. And maple syrup? $$$$$$
Enter How To #2.
2. How To Make Homemade Syrup – Pure maple syrup is so expensive, so I’m thinking I may try this. Granted, this has what seems to be a lot of sugar, but I’m still going to attempt the recipe to see how it tastes. I’m interested to know if any of you have ever made maple syrup before.
3. How To Heal Scars Naturally – There is no link for this, as it is just a picture reference, but it has some great ideas I had never heard of for aid in healing scars. Because of my recent surgery, I have a rather large one of these right now, and I would love it if one of these remedies zapped it! I actually do not scar well so I’m hopeful this will help. Tips appreciated, or if you have tried using any of these oils or supplements, I would love to hear about it!
3. The How-To Guide For Free Handwritten (and beautiful!) Fonts - I don’t know about you, but as much as I love really good type, I do not love searching for it. Thankfully, this post on A Subtle Revelry included 25 handwritten fonts that are FREE! All of the links to every font you see in the image are included in the post, so get to downloading! So useful – I love practical and pretty blog posts!
4. How To Properly Address Invitations – I carefully read through this entire reference guide, and I think Emily Post would agree with all of it. Maybe I am more mindful about things like this being from the South, but I find that people do not know how to address invitations anymore. I received an invitation the other day for “Mr. & Mrs. Grace Mitchell”. Woops! Of course, this is a guide for wedding invitations, but I think it could apply to many scenarios. Assuredly, a little mistake on an envelope is not a huge deal, but this is something useful to have handy.
5. How To Vote For The Person Who Should Be One of The Winners Of The American Made Awards – Okay, so this isn’t a true “Pinterest How To”, but my friend Kelly Kay, of Kelly Kay Paper should definitely be one of the finalists (and eventually one of the winners) of the Martha Stewart American Made Awards. Not only is Kelly Kay a tremendously talented artist and creator of beautiful paper, she is also very proud of her country and passionate about her products being made in the USA. I mean, need I remind you of her baby shower? (Invitation, Part 1: Decor, Part 2: Food & Party Pics)
And remember the room tour of her amazing nursery?!
So yeah, if there is anyone that deserves an AMERICAN MADE AWARD, it is her! You do have to enter an email address and a password to vote, but it seriously took me all of two seconds. You can vote up to six times a day, and voting ends September 9th.
These are a couple of Kelly Kay’s latest hand drawn designs, and they make me smile.
PLEASE VOTE FOR KELLY KAY HERE! (and thank you, readers)
And because I laughed nearly the whole way through this slideshow, I thought I would share with you a bonus “Pinterest Taught Me How To” this week.
Bonus: How To Look Good While Working Out – First of all, it has been two years since I set foot in a gym (which seems weird, I taught classes for years!), but I can fully guarantee I have never walked into one thinking about how to look good while I was in there. Gyms are for sweating and getting red faced, not for being worried about wearing the correct shade of bobby pins, yes??
One more thing before I go, I just wanted to express how appreciative I am to you for bearing with me during my surgery and recovery. Obviously, things have not gone quite as planned these last four weeks, and I am very grateful for your support. Have a beautifully long weekend!